Mirage by Charles Conder, 1889, watercolour on paper. In the National Gallery of Victoria Collection. One of the many works that have inspired this residency application.

Art historical forms, traditional symbolism and contemporary practice have always merged in my art making process. I would like to return in this residency to “the body” within my art practice and see the return to the human form. With this project I aim to re incorporate place/ site and body and merge landscape into my work.

I would like to reference key art works from Australian Art history and incorporate the landscape within the Australian bush near Eltham and its related histories. I aim to construct abstract bodies within sites/ land and cut out forms that depict human presence, absence and place.

For this purpose I wish to use my knowledge of Art History to research the artists who have frequented the area and make/ remake aspects of this history.